The history of Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University is а reflection of all the complex processes that took place in Russian society during the twentieth and early twenty-first centuries.
The history began in 1906 when a medical school was founded as a part of Moscow Higher Women’s Courses. This opened up new prospects for attracting women to higher education, when in the country had a need for medical professionals.
First lecture was delivered on September 26, 1906; first graduation was in spring 1912. The course was incredibly popular. Thus, in 1906 medical faculty audience numbered to 206 people, in 1907–1908 years this number increased to 285 people. The entrance competition equaled 8.5 people per position. By the beginning of 1917, the medical faculty studied 1060 students.
Revolutionary events of 1917 gave an incentive to a new wave in the history of the high school and Moscow Higher Women’s Courses in particular. In 1918, the Courses were reorganized to the Second Moscow State University (2nd MSU) which was an educational institution with blended learning. The transformation of the Soviet higher school took place in the most difficult conditions of the Civil war, food and fuel crisis. The country was sorely short of medical personnel, but the process of training doctors was complicated by the lack of University classrooms of the most necessary: heating, electricity, paper, ink, not to mention special teaching equipment and laboratory preparations. Students and graduates of the medical faculty of the 2nd MSU, as well as other medical universities, were subject to military mobilization: they not only treated the wounded, but also fought epidemics and the consequences of famine and devastation throughout the country.
Despite difficult years many founders of major scientific schools, who stood at the origins of the Women's Courses continued to teach at the medical school. In 1920, the first and second city hospitals and Morozov children's hospital were provided for clinical teaching to the medical faculty of the 2nd MSU. After the Civil war, most of the students who worked in hospitals and on the battlefields were returned to the University to continue education. At the same time, students participated in the organization of activities aimed at combating cholera, typhoid and typhoid fever, malaria. They conducted educational work among the population, helped to carry out inspections, vaccinated, participated in sanitary and anti-epidemic measures. Thanks to young doctors, a wide range of various preventive measures has been implemented in the country in a short period, thus avoiding mass mortality from infections.
The 2nd Moscow State University and its medical faculty actively developed, introduced new disciplines and conducted research. Between 1918 and 1930, 2nd MSU have released about 6 million doctors, 2.5 million teachers and about a thousand chemists. In 1930, the structure of the 2nd MMI consisted of 43 departments and clinics.
In 1930, 2nd MSU was reorganized to three independent higher schools including the 2nd Moscow State Medical School. Simultaneously the world's first pediatric faculty was created in our basis. The development of programs for the training of specialists in pediatric age and the formation of academic departments of the faculty took several years. However, by 1940, a significant improvement in the health of women and children and a reduction in infant and maternal mortality were noted in the country. As a result, the faculty was served as a model for similar faculties in other universities around the world.
In the days of the Great Patriotic War, the faculty, graduates and students took an active part in defending the Motherland, both in the army and in the rear. The entire graduation of 1941 was sent to the front, many teachers, residents, graduate students and students also volunteered to go to the ski battalions, the people's militia, the sanitary detachments and the evacuation hospital. The remaining teachers, students, interns and graduate students worked on the construction of fortifications. Special units provided medical assistance to evacuated children. Blood donation has become widespread. Throughout the war, the School continued to work, preparing doctors for the front and rear.
The post-war period of our development is associated with the active development of science and space exploration. In 1954, the first in the country Central Research Laboratory at the Medical School began work, and in 1963 the Biomedical Faculty was established which started to train specialists in the fields of biophysics, biochemistry and medical cybernetics. Graduates of this faculty work now in leading scientific and medical research centers in Russia and many countries of the world.
Since 1959, the 2nd Moscow State Medical School have been accepting international students.
In 1957, the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR, decided to assign to the the 2nd Moscow State Medical School the name of the outstanding Russian surgeon and anatomist N. I. Pirogov. In 1966, the institute was awarded the highest Soviet award - the Order of Lenin.
The next period is associated with the active development of continuing professional education. In 1968, an advanced training course for teachers was opened at the Pirogov Medical School. In 1977, the Faculty of Continuing Medical Education was established. Beginning with four academic chairs, this faculty today includes 34 departments that provide courses for medical specialists in 50 areas of training.
In 1991, 2nd Moscow State Medical School was transformed to Pirogov Russian State Medical University. Soon after that, the University established new faculties and developed novel educational programs: “Dentistry”, “Pharmacy”, “Clinical psychology” and “Social work”. All these directions quickly became competitive in the market of educational services in Russia.
In 2010, thanks to a high level of research and education, the University received the status of “National Research University”.
In 2013, The University started working on double degree programs with European universities. Some of educational programs were adapted to be implemented in English.
The University has always collaborated with city hospitals in order to train students at the bedside. Currently, the representative offices of the academic chairs work in more than 120 Moscow hospitals. In addition, three major clinical and research centers became parts of the University.
In 2019, the University opened master degree programs and entered the respected international rankings of “THE” and “QS”.
Our University held a leading position in the national system of medical education all the time throughout its history. Its distinctive feature has always been an important relation to the vital needs of practical medicine and biomedical science.
During its existence the University has trained more than 80,000 doctors who fulfilled and continue to fulfill their professional duty in all parts of Russia and abroad. The achievements of the University are contributions of several generations of professors, lecturers, researchers, students, administrative and management personnel. The aim of the University now and in future is to be a worthy successor of the honor and glory of the previous generations and to continue and strengthen the University’s good traditions.